Animal Rescue Resources
|Resource type||Preparing for an emergency, Getting help after an emergency, Giving help after an emergency, Recovery|
|Resource sub-type||Animal Rescue Services|
|Types of emergencies handled||Earthquake; Volcanic eruption; Severe weather; Flooding and tsunami; Urban fire, explosion, or bombingwarning.png"Urban fire, explosion, or bombing" is not in the list of possible values (Earthquake, Volcanic eruption, Severe weather, Flooding and tsunami, Urban fire or explosion, Wildland fire, Utility disruption, Transportation emergency, Solar storm/EMP attack, Meteorite/space debris, War or Civil disturbance, Chemical spill or release, Disease outbreak, Famine, Nuclear and radiation accidents) for this property. ; Wildland fire; Chemical spill or release|
If you believe any information is misleading, comment on the Discussion page.
Food, clothing and other household item donations must be processed to be effective. Direct financial donations to trustworthy agencies are welcome.
Please consider carefully the nature and trustworthiness of the agency or agencies you choose to donate to. No warranty or guarantee of accuracy can be made as this list can be freely edited.
Lost & Found - Animals and Pets
- Florida CraigsList.org Pet lost and found and offers to/requests for shelter.
- New Orleans CraigsList.org Pet lost and found and offers to/requests for shelter.
- NORTH CAROLINA
- North Carolina CraigsList.org Pet lost and found and offers to/requests for shelter.
- SOUTH CAROLINA
- South Carolina CraigsList.org Pet lost and found and offers to/requests for shelter.
- Periódico Buena Suerte Mascotas perdidas: Houston | Austin | San antonio | Dallas
- Dallas CraigsList.org Pet lost and found and offers to/requests for shelter.
- Galveston CraigsList.org Pet lost and found and offers to/requests for shelter.
- Houston CraigsList.org Pet lost and found and offers to/requests for shelter.
Animal Rescue and Shelter Organizations
- Animal Rescue Foundation of Louisiana Based in Lafayette - in need of donations and foster homes.
- Animal Rescue New Orleans Coordinating sheltering for pets of evacuees.
- Best Friends News
- Critter Crossings All-breed Dog Rescue
- Houston Humane Society
- Houston SPCA
- Humane Society of North Texas
- Humane Society of Southern Mississippi
- Humane Society of the United States Emergency Services
- Noah's Wish
- Pasado Safe Haven Rescue Disaster Response
- PetFinder Animal Shelter: Listings by state
- United Animal Nations: (UAN) Organizes trained volunteers to rescue and care for pets that are left behind in a disaster. UAN maintains the Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS) to areas affected by disaster.
- Charity Navigator: Animal Rights, Welfare, and Services Ratings of animal rights and welfare nonprofit groups.
- FTC Guidlines for Giving to Charity for Hurricane Katrina
- Scambusters advisory for Hurricane Katrina
Groups & Forums
- Hurricane Animal Help Yahoo Group Yahoo! Groups
- Hurricane Pets Rescue Inc. Yahoo Group Yahoo! Groups | Website
- Nola.com Animal Chat Forum No Frames
- Gustav Pet Rescue Yahoo Group Yahoo! Groups
- Alley Cat Allies
- American Humane Association Disaster News
- Animal Rescue New Orleans
- Animals Voice
- Animal Trustees of Austin What's New
- (Greater) Birmingham Humane Society Is sheltering evacuated pets.
- Best Friends Rapid Response Network Blogs, forums, calendar of disaster response and rescue efforts.
- Lisa Foronda's Animal Attraction BlogHuntsville, TX shelter for evacuated pets
- DogDetective.com Lost pet and pet theft alert
- Feral Cats Consortium All-volunteer group working to stem the tide of overpopulation of feral and stray cats on the Northshore, Louisiana.
- Feral Cats in the News
- Greater Birmingham Humane Society
- Gustav Pets Current pet rescue & sheltering information Sunday, August 31 2008
- HelpingAnimals.com PETA's support site for companion animals in need.
- The Horse Aggregated news articles and press releases about equine evacuation.
- Humane Society of Northwest Louisiana
- HSUS Disaster Center
- Hurricane Pets Rescue Non-profit nationwide disaster relief/animal rescue organization started in 2005 following hurricane Katrina, whose goal is to help families locate their lost pets or find homes for orphaned animals across the USA. Sponsored by Hurricane Pets Yahoo group.
- International Fund for Animal Welfare
- IFAW's Animal Rescue Blog Gustav updates from IFAW team deployed to Louisiana
- Jefferson Parish East Bank Animal Shelter Shelter closed until further notice due to Hurricane Gustav.
- Kinship Circle Animals in DisastersInformation and relief efforts for animals in crisis.
- Louisiana Board of Veterinary Medicine
- Louisiana State Animal Response Team Equine rescue program; Cash donations needed.
- Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine
- Mountain Home Pets Provides rescue services in Baxter County, Arkansas. No specific Gustav news as yet
- MuttSchack No specific Gustav news as yet
- Local Vets A site that lets you search for vets by zip code. Helpful for those who have been relocated.
- [www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/prepare/pet_plan.shtml National Hurricane Center Hurricane Preparedeness Checklist]
- Noah's Wish Disaster Animal Relief
- North Carolina State Animal Response Team Hurricane/tropical storm pet preparedness information; coordinates efforts of over 30 government and animal organizations.
- Pets America saves the lives of pets and the people who love them by providing educational programs about emergency preparedness and resources for disaster response. Through Pet First Aid & Disaster Response workshops, Pets America teaches people how to care for their animals before, during, and after an emergency. And, by collaborating with communities nationwide, Pets America is providing resources that help ensure that pets can be effectively included in local emergency management plans.
- PetFinders.com Extensive disaster preparedeness and response information on main page
- Pets-allowed Hotels database Searchable by state
- Senator John Ensign (Sept. 14, 2005) In a letter to Pres. Bush, Ensign Warns Of Health Risks Caused By Pets Abandoned By Katrina Victims (letter was co-signed by Senator Rick Santorum R-PA)
- Sit and Stay (A Poem) Dedicated to the all the loyal pets who sat and waited for their masters to return after Katrina's winds and waters separated them.
- SPCA of Texas | News homepage
- Texas Animal Health Commission Livestock and pet evacuation information
- Vermilion Parish Animal Aid Blog last updated February, 2006